Degenerative disc disease is not a disease; it is a term that describes the condition of the damaged disc which causes pain. It affects a person when the normal function bending, flexion, twisting of the disc of your spine causes pain. The discs are similar to shock absorbers between the bones of your spine. If worn-out of the disc of your spine is the reason forpain, you may be having degenerative disc disease.
Every human being faces wear and tear of spinal discs, but they happen as people age. It is not necessary that people having a worn-out spinal disc at the age of 60 may have back pain. The back pain occurs when the discs of the spine collapse completely. The vertebrae that rub each other causing the pain. Many medical institutions provide treatment of degenerative disc disease; The Pain Relief Center is one such institution.
Causes of degenerative disc disease
- The disc is made of water at the time of birth. They get thinner as you age. Drying of the disc as we cannot absorb the shocks well which causes degenerative disc.
- Everyday work or any injury can cause the wear out of the outer wall having nerves. When the walls break the discs push through the crack leading to a bulge in the disc,or it may slip out of place which is called asa herniated
- Injuries may cause soreness, instability and swelling in the discs.
Treatment of degenerative disc disease
Exercise is one of the ways that doctors recommend to increase the strength and flexibility of the bones. Exercising helps proper blood flow in the back and helps in nourishing the joints and muscles. Some of the other treatments that can help in treating degenerative disc are as follows:
- Physical therapy
- Medications like pain relievers, anti-inflammatory drugs, etc
- Surgery includes artificial disc replacement and spinal fusion.